Re: Initial eventlog support on win32

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Initial eventlog support on win32
Date: 2004-03-23 01:42:56
Lists: pgsql-patches

> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> The patch mimcs the syslog handling in most cases. It also hijacks the
>> syslog guc variable.

> I'm less happy about this. In fact the 0 | 1 | 2 for syslog is very
> hokey anyway. What is more, it is not inconceivable that someone would
> run syslogd on a Windows host, especially if it pointed to a remote
> syslog. Such things exist, as a quick Google search will demonstrate.
> (I'm not sure if we have any API available on WIndows to support it, but
> that's another question.)

> I would rather see the setting cleaned up and allow zero or more of
> stdout, syslog, and eventlog (and it should probably be called
> log_destination or some such instead of syslog).

Agreed. I recall dumping on someone just recently because they proposed
a new GUC variable with a similarly unreadable-except-to-bit-pushers
definition. We should take the opportunity to install a more
user-friendly definition.

As with the other stuff we've been talking about, I see no serious
backwards-compatibility concern for this particular variable, since it's
only likely to get touched in the postgresql.conf file.