Re: Win32 port

From: Steve Howe <howe(at)carcass(dot)dhs(dot)org>
To: Katie Ward <kward(at)peerdirect(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Win32 port
Date: 2002-11-08 05:43:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Katie,

KW> Hi, all.

KW> I just wanted to give you an update on where my company (PeerDirect) is with
KW> regards to our native Windows port.

KW> We are planning on contributing the code for the native port sometime next
KW> month (in December). We would have liked to contribute it earlier, but our
KW> work schedules here didn't allow it.

KW> The state of the port is that it passes all postgres regression tests. It's
KW> been in BETA since early August with about 27 beta customers. The beta
KW> customers came from a post made to the cygwin mailing list
KW> (http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-cygwin/2002-08/msg00012.php). The
KW> BETA has proven successful and several problems were found and fixed.

KW> At this point you are welcome to run the latest version of this BETA. There
KW> is no installer, but there is a setenv.bat script to help setup the
KW> environment. The beta can be downloaded at:
KW> ftp://209.61.187.152/postgres/postgres_beta4.zip

KW> This version has its own catalog version which is slightly different than
KW> 7.2.1, so you'll need to do a pg_dump and pg_restore. If you find any
KW> issues, please don't mail me directly. Instead, please send emails to
KW> postgres-beta(at)peerdirect(dot)com(dot) Several people monitor this address and the
KW> issue will get resolved more quickly.

KW> There is still some cleanup work to do, such as migrating from 7.2.1 to 7.4,
KW> but my company is committed to contributing this port to the community by
KW> the end of the year.
I have tried this version and it seems to work well on preliminary
tests. Bruce, this probably is a good start for the port and I wonder
if it worths having all that patching trouble you mentioned, specially
when they offered to do it... I think you probably have a lot of work
to do on other areas too...

To Katie: does it compile with Mingw too ?

Best regards,
Steve Howe mailto:howe(at)carcass(dot)dhs(dot)org