Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?

From: cowwoc <cowwoc(at)bbs(dot)darktech(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?
Date: 2014-09-15 05:22:21
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

Out of curiosity, why is Postgresql's Java support so poor? I am
specifically looking for the ability to write triggers in Java.

I took a look at the PL/Java project and it looked both incomplete and dead,
yet other languages like Javascript are taking off. I would have expected to
see very strong support for Java because it's the most frequently used
language on the server-side.

What's going on? Why isn't this a core language supported alongside SQL,
Perl and Python as part of the core project?

Thanks,
Gili