Re: 9.5: Better memory accounting, towards memory-bounded HashAgg

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 9.5: Better memory accounting, towards memory-bounded HashAgg
Date: 2014-08-29 09:15:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2014-08-22 at 12:34 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> Still doesn't look good here. On the same PPC64 machine I've been
> using for testing:

I have a new approach to the patch which is to call a callback at each
block allocation and child contexts inherit the callback from their
parents. The callback could be defined to simply dereference and
increment its argument, which would mean block allocations anywhere in
the hierarchy are incrementing the same variable, avoiding the need to
traverse the hierarchy.

I've made some progress I think (thanks to both Robert and Tomas), but I
have a bit more microoptimization and testing to do. I'll mark it
"returned with feedback" for now, though if I find the time I'll do more
testing to see if the performance concerns are fully addressed.

Regards,
Jeff Davis