Re: Proposal for CSN based snapshots

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Rajeev rastogi <rajeev(dot)rastogi(at)huawei(dot)com>, Ants Aasma <ants(at)cybertec(dot)at>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
Subject: Re: Proposal for CSN based snapshots
Date: 2014-08-27 05:23:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2014-08-26 at 13:45 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Yeah. This patch in the current state is likely much much slower than
> unpatched master, except in extreme cases where you have thousands of
> connections and short transactions so that without the patch, you spend
> most of the time acquiring snapshots.

What else are you looking to accomplish with this patch during this
'fest? Bug finding? Design review? Performance testing?

I haven't had a good track record with my performance testing recently,
so I'm unlikely to be much help there.

It seems a bit early for bug hunting, unless you think it will raise
possible design issues.

I think there's already at least one design issue to consider, which is
whether we care about CLOG/CSNLOG access for hinted records where the
xid > snapshot->xmin (that is, accesses that previously would have
looked at xip). Would more discussion help here or do we need to wait
for performance numbers?

Regards,
Jeff Davis