Re: alter user set local_preload_libraries.

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: alter user set local_preload_libraries.
Date: 2014-08-27 02:33:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2014-07-03 at 13:05 +0900, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI wrote:
> For the earlier than 9.4, no one seems to have considered
> seriously to use local_preload_library via ALTER statements so
> far. Only document fix would be enough for them.

I think local_preload_libraries never actually worked sensibly for any
specific purpose. It was designed to work with the pldebugger, but
pldebugger doesn't use it anymore.

So before we start bending the GUC system into new directions, let's ask
ourselves what the current practical application of
local_preload_libraries is and whether the proposed changes support that
use at all. I suspect there aren't any, and we should leave it alone.

I agree that we should fix the documentation in 9.3 and earlier.