9.4 pg_restore --help changes

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: 9.4 pg_restore --help changes
Date: 2014-08-09 01:44:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

9.3 pg_restore --help output:

-I, --index=NAME restore named index
-n, --schema=NAME restore only objects in this schema
-P, --function=NAME(args) restore named function
-t, --table=NAME restore named table(s)
-T, --trigger=NAME restore named trigger
--section=SECTION restore named section (pre-data, data, or post-data)

9.4 pg_restore --help output:

-I, --index=NAME restore named indexes
-n, --schema=NAME restore only objects in these schemas
-P, --function=NAME(args) restore named functions
-t, --table=NAME restore named tables
-T, --trigger=NAME restore named triggers
--section=SECTION restore named sections (pre-data, data, or post-data)

This is a valuable feature change, but I think the help output is
unhelpful. The left side has a singular placeholder, but the right side
talks about objects in plural. How do I actually specify multiple
indexes? Is is --index=foo,bar? It's --index=foo --index=bar, but
that's unclear from the help.

I think it would be clearer to write something like

-I, --index=NAME restore named indexes (repeat for multiple)

or perhaps make a note at the bottom

The options -I, -n, -P, -t, -T, --section can be combined and
specified multiple times to select multiple objects.

Other ideas?