pg_dump exists without any message when running from windows task scheduler

From: "Andrus" <kobruleht2(at)hot(dot)ee>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_dump exists without any message when running from windows task scheduler
Date: 2009-09-08 16:29:07
Lists: pgsql-general

In some servers 8.4 pg_dump exits without any message if running from Task
Scheduler.

To explore this, I created scheduler task containing line

cmd

After that I can type manually commands:

C:\MyApp\pg_dump>dir /w
..
[.] [..] comerr32.dll
gssapi32.dll k5sprt32.dll krb5_32.dll libeay32.dll
libiconv-2.dll libintl-8.dll libpq.dll msvcp71.dll
pg_dump.exe pg_dumpall.exe pg_restore.exe ssleay32.dll
zlib1.dll

C:\MyApp\pg_dump>pg_dump

C:\MyApp\pg_dump>pg_restore

C:\MyApp\pg_dump>pg_dumpall

As shown, all commands exit without any message. This also happens if
command line parameters are passed. So it is not possible to use Task
Scheduler
to create backups.
If same commands are executed from same user account from command prompt
directly, they run OK.

How to create automatic backups in Windows ?

backups are created in server running Windows XP Prof SP3
PostgreSql 8.4 server is installed to C: drive and required files are copied
to separate pg_dump directory

Andrus.