Re: [HACKERS] please review source(SQLServer compatible)‏

From: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
To: Vik Fearing <vik(dot)fearing(at)dalibo(dot)com>, rohtodeveloper <rohtodeveloper(at)outlook(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] please review source(SQLServer compatible)‏
Date: 2014-06-23 17:22:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Vik Fearing <vik(dot)fearing(at)dalibo(dot)com> wrote:
> On 06/23/2014 04:51 PM, rohtodeveloper wrote:
>> 1.SQL statement support
>>   INSERT statement without INTO keyword
>>   DELETE statement without FROM keywork
>
> Why would we want this?

I'm pretty sure that the only argument for it is to ease migration
of software from other DBMS products which allow that non-standard
syntax for people who have chosen to use the non-standard form of
the statement instead of the standard syntax (which is also
available in all cases that I know of).

If the SQL standard were static, I would actually lean toward
allowing it, to make it easier for people to switch to PostgreSQL.
The biggest down side I see is the possibility that some future
version of the standard might implement some new syntax which is
more difficult to implement if we need to also support this
non-standard variation.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com