Re: [INTERFACES] Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign
Date: 2003-03-21 17:42:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> The standard only covers embedded C programs. Other interfaces that are
>> covered by other standards require other settings.

> My point was that _the_ standard requires autocommit off, not that
> everyone is using autocommit off.

Peter's point is good: the only interface that is actually subject to the
part of the spec you are quoting is ecpg. It could reasonably be argued
that libpq should only support autocommit-on, because that's the
historical behavior that programs written atop libpq expect. The other
client libraries have their own specs to adhere to.