Re: How can sort performance be so different

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bob Jolliffe <bobjolliffe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How can sort performance be so different
Date: 2019-01-29 18:47:31
Lists: pgsql-performance

Bob Jolliffe <bobjolliffe(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I wonder what can cause such a massive discrepancy in the sort time.

Are you using the same locale (LC_COLLATE) setting on both machines?
Some locales sort way slower than C locale does. That's not enough
to explain a 1000X discrepancy --- I concur with the other opinions
that there's something wrong with your VPS --- but it might account
for something like 10X of it.