Re: segmentation fault in psql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David George <david(at)onyxsoft(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: segmentation fault in psql
Date: 2001-04-01 17:47:18
Lists: pgsql-bugs

David George <david(at)onyxsoft(dot)com> writes:
> Thanks. Removing sfio from configure.in and reconfiguring/making did
> the job. I didn't try it before because I figured Postgresql may have
> actually been using sfio for something.

No; I'm not sure why it's in configure's search list at all.

It sounds like we might be tripping over a bug in sfio's stdio
emulation. You might want to report this to the sfio people.

> The reason for using it on Solaris is because Solaris can't fopen file
> descriptors above 255. So if you have a process that has more than
> 255 open files in a process any further fopens will fail mysteriously
> (I have forgotten what the error message is, but it is something like
> EPERM or something stupid like that).

As long as the error code is something appropriate (EMFILE one hopes)
then I think we should cope with this situation correctly. If it really
is EPERM then you might find the backend giving weird errors when run
with a file descriptor limit above 256.