Re: multi-master pgbench?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: multi-master pgbench?
Date: 2012-08-22 01:51:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
>> Well, my concern here is that it's *not* going to be simple. By the
>> time we get done adding enough switches to control connection to N
>> different hosts (possibly with different usernames, passwords, etc),
>> then adding frammishes to control which scripts get sent to which hosts,
>> and so on, I don't think it's really going to be simpler to use than
>> launching N copies of pgbench.

> I do not intended to implement such a feature. As I wrote in the
> subject line, I intended to enhance pgbench for "multi-master"
> configuration. IMO, any node on multi-master configuration should
> accept *any* queries, not only read queries but write queries. So bare
> PostgreSQL streaming replication configuration cannot be a
> multi-master configuration and will not be a target of the new
> pgbench.

Well, you're being shortsighted then, because such a feature will barely
have hit the git repository before somebody wants to use it differently.
I can easily imagine wanting to stress a master plus some hot-standby
slaves, for instance; and that would absolutely require being able to
direct different subsets of the test scripts to different hosts.