Re: [WIP] collation support revisited (phase 1)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Radek Strnad <radek(dot)strnad(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [WIP] collation support revisited (phase 1)
Date: 2008-07-12 15:17:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM> writes:
> I think if we support UTF8 encoding, than it make sense to create own charsets,
> because system locales could have defined collation for that.

Say what? I cannot imagine a scenario in which a user-defined encoding
would be useful. The amount of infrastructure you need for a new
encoding is so large that providing management commands is just silly
--- anyone who can create the infrastructure can do the last little bit
for themselves. The analogy to index access methods is on point, again.