Re: pgwin32_open returning EINVAL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Zeugswetter Andreas ADI SD <Andreas(dot)Zeugswetter(at)s-itsolutions(dot)at>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgwin32_open returning EINVAL
Date: 2007-12-20 00:50:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Updated version attached. Comments on the wording of the messages are also
> welcome ;-)

Well, since you asked ;-) ... I don't particularly like this.

1. Doesn't distinguish SHARING_VIOLATION from LOCK_VIOLATION.
We might want to know that.

2. Do we really want this to be WARNING? LOG seems a better idea,
since it's not warning about anything the client app did wrong.

3. Doesn't follow the message style guide: shoehorning two sentences
into errmsg() is surely not compliant. Perhaps

errmsg: could not open file \"%s\": sharing violation
OR errmsg: could not open file \"%s\": lock violation

errdetail: Continuing to retry for up to 30 seconds.

errhint: OK as you have it.