Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] Can not create more than 32766 databases in ufs file system.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Mark Mielke <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, fulan Peng <fulanpeng(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] Can not create more than 32766 databases in ufs file system.
Date: 2009-09-12 20:27:33
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> * Mark Mielke (mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc) wrote:
>> I guess I'm not seeing how using 32k tables is a sensible model.

> For one thing, there's partitioning. For another, there's a large user
> base. 32K tables is, to be honest, not all that many, especially for
> some of these databases which reach into the multi-TB range..

I believe the filesystem limit the OP is hitting is on the number of
*subdirectories* per directory, not on the number of plain files.
If we had a hard limit at 32K tables many people would have hit it
before now.

So the question I would ask goes more like "do you really need 32K
databases in one installation? Have you considered using schemas
instead?" Databases are, by design, pretty heavyweight objects.