Re: 7.4 build problem on Linux Vserver

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Postgresql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.4 build problem on Linux Vserver
Date: 2003-12-11 16:35:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> How is "prod" getting into that command line? I suspect it's coming
>> from an environment variable like PROFILE or CFLAGS ...

> Is there a case for making Makefile/shell variables and defines we use
> have less generic names?

Having configure/make depend on CC, CFLAGS, etc is standard behavior;
renaming those would increase the surprise factor, not reduce it.

PROFILE is maybe a borderline case, since I'm not sure how many packages
use it the way we do. But I'd be at least as inclined to blame Dave's
environment for using a generic variable name as blame our makefiles.