Re: Permanent settings

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>
Subject: Re: Permanent settings
Date: 2008-02-20 18:34:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> 2) allow *commenting* of pg_settings / SET PERMANENT. Thus:

> SET PERMANENT work_mem = '12mb' COMMENT '16mb too high; OOM';

Ugh :-(

I think that putting this into SET is a pretty bad idea in any case.
SET is, and always has been, a session-local operation. Providing a
secondary option that transforms it into something completely different
doesn't seem to me to be good design. If we do anything along this line
it should be some other syntax --- and really a specialized function
will serve the purpose just fine.

The other stuff you suggest is even more lily-gilding, not to mention
completely pointless unless we were to make this function the *only* way
that the settings could be changed.