Format of Pioint datatype.... lat/long or long/lat??

From: peterlen <peteralen(at)earthlink(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Format of Pioint datatype.... lat/long or long/lat??
Date: 2013-12-31 20:45:05
Lists: pgsql-general

PostgreSQL has a geometric data type of "point". The format is listed as (x,
y) but I am not sure if the X is to represent latitude or longitude. I have
seen different systems that us X for either. Typically, coordinates should
be read as lat/long but I have seen the opposite as well. An example in the
help docs listed a point coordinate as x= longitude and y=latitude. Can
someone clarify what the postgres standard is? What this will come down to
is how built-in geospatial functions will interpret the point value.

Thanks - Peter