Re: [patch] BUG #15005: ANALYZE can make pg_class.reltuples inaccurate.

From: Alexander Kuzmenkov <a(dot)kuzmenkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: David Gould <daveg(at)sonic(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Alina Alexeeva <alexeeva(at)adobe(dot)com>, Ullas Lakkur Raghavendra <lakkurra(at)adobe(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [patch] BUG #15005: ANALYZE can make pg_class.reltuples inaccurate.
Date: 2018-03-01 16:56:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01.03.2018 18:09, Tom Lane wrote:

> Ideally, at least, the estimate would remain on-target.

The test shows that under this particular scenario the estimated number
of tuples grows after each ANALYZE. I tried to explain how this happens
in the attached pdf. The direct averaging of the number of tuples, not
using the density, doesn't have this problem, so I suppose it could help.

> I think you're reinventing the way we used to do it. Perhaps consulting
> the git history in the vicinity of this code would be enlightening.

I see that before vac_estimate_reltuples was introduced, the results of
analyze and vacuum were used directly, without averaging. What I am
suggesting is to use a different way of averaging, not to remove it.

--
Alexander Kuzmenkov
The Russian Postgres Company

Attachment Content-Type Size