Re: Railroad diagrams, a-la sqlite

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>, Joseph Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>, pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Railroad diagrams, a-la sqlite
Date: 2010-07-17 21:04:18
Lists: pgsql-docs

> On 17/07/10 23:36, Thom Brown wrote:
>> On 17 July 2010 21:30, Joseph Conway<mail(at)joeconway(dot)com> wrote:
>>> Oracle SELECT:
>>> http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10759/statements_10002.htm

>> Yeah, that kinda chaotic. Looks like a sadistic puzzle from the
>> Krypton Factor. :S

> Mind you, that syntax is genuinely complex. It would look chaotic using
> the text representation we currently use as well.

Well, our own SELECT syntax isn't exactly short:
http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/sql-select.html

The problem I personally see with railroad diagrams is that there's
so much whitespace in 'em. Our current SELECT syntax diagram fits on
a page, more or less, but it would span multiple pages in railroad form.
That doesn't make for a leap forward in comprehensibility IMO.