Re: Extension Templates S03E11

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Extension Templates S03E11
Date: 2013-12-07 08:12:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I think Stephen has already argued why it could be a good idea here.
> But in a nutshell: it seems like there are two use-cases to be
> supported, one where you want "CREATE EXTENSION hstore" to give you
> some appropriate version of hstore, and one where you want to restore
> exactly what you had on the previous installation. It seems to me that
> "exploding" the extension by dumping, rather than suppressing, its
> component objects is by far the most reliable way of accomplishing the
> latter.

The behavior of an extension should not depend on how it was installed.

The kind of "extension" being described by Stephen will:

* Not be updatable by doing "ALTER EXTENSION foo UPDATE TO '2.0'"
* Dump out objects that wouldn't be dumped if they had installed the
extension using the filesystem

So if we do it this way, then we should pick a new name, like "package".

And then we'll need to decide whether it still makes sense to use an
external tool to transform a PGXN extension into a form that could be
loaded as a package.

Regards,
Jeff Davis