Re: MultiXact bugs

From: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Dan Ports <drkp(at)csail(dot)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MultiXact bugs
Date: 2013-11-30 16:41:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com> wrote:

> In going over this, I found pre-existing bugs when a tuple was both
> inserted and deleted by concurrent transactions, but fixing that is
> too invasive to consider for Monday's minor release lockdown.  The
> attached seems very safe to me, and protects against some new
> hazards related to the subtransaction changes (mostly just for an
> assert-enabled build, but still worth fixing).  It includes a lot
> of work on the comments, to guide the subsequent fixes or other
> work in that area.
>
> If nobody objects, I will push it to master and 9.3 tomorrow.

Given the recent MultiXact patches, I no longer see any bugs in SSI
which have not been there since the start, and these are in such
remote corner cases that there have so far been no reports of
anyone hitting them.  I will wait until after this emergency
release to patch those; the risk/benefit ratio of doing something
so quickly just doesn't seem good.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com