Re: Extension Templates S03E11

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Extension Templates S03E11
Date: 2013-11-30 09:32:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 2013-11-30 at 01:05 -0800, Jeff Davis wrote:
> Unless I'm missing something, I'd be inclined to just get rid of the
> concept of DEFAULT FULL VERSION just to keep the documentation simpler
> without losing any real functionality.

I found some explanation of the original reasoning in these threads:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA
+Tgmoae3Qs4QbQfxOUzZFxRSxA0zy8ibSOYSuuTzDUMPeAkAg(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/m2622fy43s.fsf@2ndQuadrant.fr
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/m2k44m9oyo.fsf@2ndQuadrant.fr

It seems like it's for pg_dump, so it can avoid outputting the extension
templates and just say "VERSION 'x.y'" without worrying about which
version it needs to start from.

That seems like a legitimate purpose, but I think we can come up with
something that's a little easier on users and easier to document (and
name). Perhaps just find the shortest upgrade path to the version
requested (using some arbitrary but deterministic tiebreaker)?

Regards,
Jeff Davis