Re: [SQL] Questions about embedded-sql!

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Anna Langer" <anna_langer(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] Questions about embedded-sql!
Date: 1999-04-20 14:35:30
Lists: pgsql-sql

"Anna Langer" <anna_langer(at)hotmail(dot)com> writes:
> We are having some problems with writing embedded-sql. We want to
> write like this but it doesn't work. test1 is our table in our
> database.

> res = PQexec(conn, "select * from test1");
> if (!res || PQresultStatus(res) != PGRES_COMMAND_OK)
> {
> fprintf(stderr, "DECLARE CURSOR command failed\n");

A successful SELECT query will return status PGRES_TUPLES_OK,
not PGRES_COMMAND_OK. You probably adapted this code from
an example that was executing a command that cannot return
tuples (DECLARE CURSOR, no doubt?). PGRES_COMMAND_OK is the
right thing in that case.

You should read the documentation and sample programs
for libpq ...

regards, tom lane