Re: [BUGS] BUG #8542: Materialized View with another column_name does not work?

From: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
To: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "t(dot)katsumata1122(at)gmail(dot)com" <t(dot)katsumata1122(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] BUG #8542: Materialized View with another column_name does not work?
Date: 2013-11-01 08:20:50
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW statement ends up being CREATE TABLE AS
> statement underneath with table type matview. In that case, why
> don't I see special treatment only for materialized view and not
> CTAS in general, which allows column names to specified like the
> case in the bug reported.

While the initial population of the matview is a lot like CTAS (and
so far shares some code), the critical difference is that CTAS
doesn't store a rule to support repopulating the table.  This issue
comes up in the validation of that rule for the matview.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com