Re: Improving deadlock error messages

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Improving deadlock error messages
Date: 2007-04-23 21:38:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Sat, 2007-04-21 at 19:43 -0400, Neil Conway wrote:
>> Attached is a very quick hack of a patch to do this.

> Does anyone have any feedback on this approach? If people are satisfied
> with this solution, I can get a cleaned up patch ready to apply shortly.

I'm really still opposed to the entire concept. You're proposing to put
a lot of fragile-looking code into a seldom-exercised error path.
I fear bugs will survive a long time in there, and the net effect will be
that we get no information when we need it most. The numeric printouts
may be ugly, but they are reliable.