Re: [INTERFACES] Problems accessing postmaster

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: José López Requena <jrequena(at)cc-ab(dot)uclm(dot)es>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Problems accessing postmaster
Date: 1999-01-11 15:28:14
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9?= =?iso-8859-1?Q?_L=F3pez?= Requena <jrequena(at)cc-ab(dot)uclm(dot)es> writes:
> Hi! I've a problem when try to connect to the postmaster v 6.4.2 via psql
> or via c program.
> If I type psql template1 or the program executes the function call
> PGsetdb(pghost,pgport,pgoptions,pgtty,"template1"),it returns the following
> error message:
> Connection to database 'template1' failed.
> pqReadData()--backend closed the channel unexpectly this probably means the
> backend terminated before or while processing the request.

Hmm. That sounds pretty broken. Does anything get logged in the
postmaster's log file (wherever you redirected its stdout/stderr to)?
Does a core file get created? (Look for a core file both in the
postgres data directory and in its subdirectories.) If there is a
core file, extracting a backtrace from it with gdb or your favorite
debugger would help us figure out what's wrong.

My first guess is some sort of configure/build foulup. What kind of
system are you running on? Which template did 'configure' pick?

regards, tom lane