Re: Advice on defining indexes

From: David Johnston <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Advice on defining indexes
Date: 2013-10-04 22:44:33
Lists: pgsql-sql

JORGE MALDONADO wrote
> If a table has a foreign key on 2 fields, should I also create an index
> composed of such fields?

Yes.

If you want to truly/actually model a foreign key the system will require
you to create a unique constraint/index on the "primary/one" side of the
relationship.

CREATE TABLE list ( lst_source, lst_date, FOREIGN KEY (lst_source, lst_date)
REFERENCES source (src_id, src_date) ...;

If a unique constraint (in this case I'd suggest primary key) does not exist
for source(src_id, src_date) the create table with the foreign key will
fail.

David J.