Re: bugs - lets call an exterminator!

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: bugs - lets call an exterminator!
Date: 2001-08-22 03:30:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com> writes:
> Needs

> easy reporting of bugs - sent to bugs list
> easy lookup of previous bugs
> summary of fix or workaround
> detail of fix or work around
> little to no intervention of
> developers
> ability of developer to add
> comments

> That should sum it up.

Check.

> We've had a couple of volunteers to keep the database up to date.
> Is it enough? I dunno, if I were to guess I'd have to look at
> previous experience and say probably not.

AFAIR, we had *zero* people paying any attention to the state of the
bug database up to now. A couple of people ought to make a big
difference.

> Is implementing yet another bugtool going to be the solution?
> Probably not. Do I want to go for number six? No.

If you're the man maintaining it then I'm certainly not going to tell
you how to do your job. OTOH --- it does seem like a lot of people
like Bugzilla. Might be worth at least a cursory look.

> Here's what I propose.

> The current tool has a form - we keep it.
> The current tool mails to the bugs list - we keep it.

Those are both fine. How do we get feedback in the other direction,
ie mailing lists to bug database? That's the $64 question in my mind
at the moment.