Re: Incorrect password when restarting a cluster

From: rob stone <floriparob(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Hombakazi Cynthia Jozela <hombakazij(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Incorrect password when restarting a cluster
Date: 2013-09-25 15:17:07
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 2013-09-25 at 03:13 -0700, Hombakazi Cynthia Jozela wrote:
> Hello Community
>
> I am new in Postgresql, and I used a "one click graphic installer",
> and installed on Ubuntu and I need some assistance:
>
> I would like to be advised on what I need to do when restarting a
> cluster as I am getting a password error when I try to. These are the
> steps I took:
>
> hombakazi(at)hombakazi-VirtualBox:~$ sudo -i
> [sudo] password for hombakazi:
> root(at)hombakazi-VirtualBox:~# su
> root(at)hombakazi-VirtualBox:~# su - postgres
> $ /opt/PostgreSQL/9.2/scripts/serverctl.sh restart
> Please enter your password if requested.
> [sudo] password for postgres:
> Sorry, try again.
>
> So I don't understand whats going on because I know my postgres
> password and I use it to login and its working but here I get this
> error. What is it that I am not doing right? or I need to do.?
>

> Ngejane Hombakazi
> 0728178913

Hello,

You ran createdb to create a database? The database has a password? What
validation method is being used in pg_hba.conf?
Can you access your database via psql? E.g., psql -d
"the-name-of-the-database" -U "the-user-who-owns-this-database"
Depending on what is defined in pg_hba.conf it may or may not ask you
for the password you supplied when running createdb.

What is in the shell script you are running?

Cheers,
Robert