Re: Logging Lock Waits

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Logging Lock Waits
Date: 2007-01-31 00:32:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I'm thinking to write an INFO message, so that people can choose to log
> this and/or the SQL statement if they choose.
> e.g. INFO: lock wait time of XXX secs has been exceeded

The available timer resources are already overloaded; adding an
independent timeout for this will complicate the code more than seems
justified. Perhaps you could add a LOG message whenever the
deadlock-check code runs (and doesn't detect an error, so is about to go
back to sleep). This would take almost no effort, and the granularity
could still be adjusted via the deadlock check timeout.