Re: parsenodes vs. primnodes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: parsenodes vs. primnodes
Date: 2007-01-31 00:10:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> If something from primnodes.h (XmlExpr) needs something from
> parsenodes.h (TypeName), should I just move the former to the latter,
> or is there some major semantic dividing line between the two? Or
> maybe TypeName should really be a primnode?

Anything in primnodes should never need a TypeName. Post-parse-analysis
representation of type info is as a pg_type Oid. If you think you need
something else, let's have a discussion about why. (Perhaps you need to
split XmlExpr into two different node types, one for raw grammar output
and one for parse-analysis output?)