Re: relid of non user created tables

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Deepak S <in(dot)live(dot)in(at)live(dot)in>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: relid of non user created tables
Date: 2015-02-07 11:55:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Deepak S <in(dot)live(dot)in(at)live(dot)in> writes:
> I wish to know if it is safe to assume that non user created tables always have a relid of less than 10,000 (I chose this value after trial and error).

Depends what you consider "user created". System catalogs with
manually-assigned OIDs will have OIDs below 10K, but initdb creates
numerous things that don't have manually-assigned OIDs. And what of,
say, TOAST tables attached to user tables?

You might find the comments for FirstNormalObjectId in
src/include/access/transam.h enlightening.