Re: Just for fun: Postgres 20?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, marcelo zen <mzen(at)itapua(dot)com(dot)uy>, Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas(at)visena(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Just for fun: Postgres 20?
Date: 2020-02-15 00:18:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> I also object because 20 is *my* unlucky number ...

Not sure how serious Andrew is being here, but it does open up an
important point: there are varying opinions on which numbers are unlucky.
The idea that 13 is unlucky is Western, and maybe even only common in
English-speaking countries. In Asia, numbers containing the digit 4
are considered unlucky [1], and there are probably other rules in other
cultures. If we establish a precedent that we'll skip release numbers
for non-technical reasons, I'm afraid we'll be right back in the mess
we sought to avoid, whereby nearly every year we had an argument about
what the next release number would be. So let's not go there.

regards, tom lane

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetraphobia