two records with same oid, freak accident?

From: Brett McCormick <brett(at)work(dot)chicken(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: two records with same oid, freak accident?
Date: 1998-07-15 03:49:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

in some sort of freak accident, we've ended up with a duplicated
record. all info, including the oid was duplicated.

it was during an update, two people ran a command at the same time.

user 1: BEGIN
user 1: NOTIFY
user 1: UPDATE
user 2: BEGIN
user 2: NOTIFY
user 1: END
user 2: UPDATE
user 2: END

same command, so the queries are the same. the record duplicated was
the one being updated. i'll try to reproduce it.

also, I had a unique index on the table, but that didn't seem to make
any difference.

any ideas on how to delete one without deleting both?