Re: fallocate / posix_fallocate for new WAL file creation (etc...)

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jon Nelson <jnelson+pgsql(at)jamponi(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: fallocate / posix_fallocate for new WAL file creation (etc...)
Date: 2013-07-01 18:17:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2013-07-02 at 02:13 +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> Even in that case, if a user can easily know which platform posix_fallocate
> should be used in, we can commit the patch with the configurable GUC
> parameter.

I disagree here. We're not talking about a huge win; this speedup may
not even be detectable on a running system.

I think Robert summarized the reason for the patch best: "I mean, if
posix_fallocate() is faster, then it's just faster, right?". But if we
need a new GUC, and DBAs now have one more thing they need to test about
their platform, then that argument goes out the window.

Regards,
Jeff Davis