keeping track of connections

From: Brett McCormick <brett(at)work(dot)chicken(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: keeping track of connections
Date: 1998-06-03 03:28:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I would love a way to keep track of the connections/attempted
connections to the postmaster. I'm thinking that when the postmaster
accept()s a connection, it can just insert a record into a table
(system catalog or not) with the information, which can be updated
after the authentication succeeds/fails or whatnot.

something like 'smbstatus' for the samba system.

So, my question is: how should I go about doing this? should I look
into SPI, which I know nothing about? or, what.. I don't think the
catalog cache stuff needs to be changed, it isn't as if this info
needs to be immediately accessible.