Re: dropping a master table and all of its partitions?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: George Nychis <gnychis(at)cmu(dot)edu>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Erik Jones <erik(at)myemma(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: dropping a master table and all of its partitions?
Date: 2007-02-27 07:57:28
Lists: pgsql-general

George Nychis <gnychis(at)cmu(dot)edu> writes:
> Here is an exact script which generates this every single time...
> After you're done running the ruby script:
> DROP TABLE testflows CASCADE;

I tweaked the ruby script to emit the SQL commands into a script file,
which proved to issue 1765 CREATE TABLE commands (one parent and 1764
children) and 1764 CREATE RULE commands (one per child table). On my
test installation the creation script runs about 6m15s, while
"DROP TABLE testflows CASCADE" runs about 3m4s. While neither number
is exactly awe-inspiring, I'm not seeing why you think the DROP is
particularly broken?