Re: Serializable isolation level

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: sknipe(at)tucows(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Serializable isolation level
Date: 2005-10-18 15:28:50
Lists: pgsql-general

Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com> writes:
> sknipe(at)tucows(dot)com wrote:
>> I need you expert opinions on the following statement.

> You have four statements here.

Also, no one of those statements is a reason for using serializable mode
instead of read committed mode, since they all apply to read committed
just as well. Real reasons for choosing one over the other have to do
with what your application logic looks like and what you are prepared to
do to recover from inconsistencies introduced by concurrent updates.
I would suggest reading the documentation at
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/mvcc.html