Re: surprise! Help needed on Win2K Postgres

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Tim Dunnington" <timbert(at)timshouse(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: surprise! Help needed on Win2K Postgres
Date: 2001-03-20 22:48:25
Lists: pgsql-ports

"Tim Dunnington" <timbert(at)timshouse(dot)com> writes:
> Do I need a particular release of tcl (ie, tcl 8.1 or 8.3 or something)?

Oh, I see the problem. Observe this comment in the libpgtcl sources:

Another headache is that Ousterhout keeps changing the Tcl I/O interfaces.
libpgtcl currently claims to work with Tcl 7.5, 7.6, and 8.0, and each of
'em is different. Worse, the Tcl_File type went away in 8.0, which means
there is no longer any platform-independent way of waiting for file ready.
So we now have to use a Unix-specific interface. Grumble.

Tcl_CreateFileHandler() and Tcl_DeleteFileHandler() are the
Unix-specific routines that this comment is talking about.

In other words, it's just not gonna work on Windows, unless you want to
downgrade to Tcl 7.* or add the appropriate Windows-specific interface
code. Sorry about that ... but I think most of the fault lies over in
the Tcl camp ...

Anyway, if you do feel like adding the necessary code, a patch would be
accepted gladly.

BTW: it's possible, nay likely, that the I/O situation has changed yet
again in newer Tcls. Perhaps there is once again a platform-independent
I/O interface, in which case fixing the problem with respect to 8.3
would make a lot more sense than adding an 8.0 solution.

I haven't time to work on this at the moment, but surely there are
some Tcl'ers out there who care.

regards, tom lane