Re: Invalid frontend message type 87?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Szabolcs BALLA <szballa(at)confinsystems(dot)com>
Cc: Postgresql Admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Invalid frontend message type 87?
Date: 2007-05-10 15:12:51
Lists: pgsql-admin

Szabolcs BALLA <szballa(at)confinsystems(dot)com> writes:
> I have a problem with postgresql 8.1.4. and libpq 4.
> I found this error message in the log file: PGRES_FATAL_ERROR invalid frontend message type 87

"Invalid frontend message" means the server got a message with an
unexpected first byte, which usually means the server and libpq got
out of sync about where the message boundaries are. It's been quite
a long time since we've seen an actual bug of that sort, though.
The cases that I've heard of recently involve multiple threads in an
application trying to use the same PGconn without any interlocking.
You can't have multiple queries active on a single connection, but
libpq itself doesn't contain any locking to prevent multiple threads
from trying to use the PGconn at once.

If you're getting this with a single-threaded client, please submit
a test case to pgsql-bugs.