Re: Call for objections: deprecate postmaster -o switch?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Call for objections: deprecate postmaster -o switch?
Date: 2001-11-26 19:25:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I just checked and OpenBSD doesn't have the fix either. Questions:

> 1) should we patch our getopt.c with that single-line fix?

Fixing our getopt seems like a no-brainer: yes.

> 2) should we force our own getopt on FreeBSD and OpenBSD for 7.2?

This is more debatable. If it were earlier in the beta cycle I'd say
yes, but at this point I don't think we should take any risks for what
is after all a cosmetic issue. Put it on TODO for 7.3, instead.

> 3) how should we update the docs for this?

"--name=val may not work on some platforms, if not use -c name=val".