Re: gistchoose vs. bloat

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: gistchoose vs. bloat
Date: 2013-01-21 06:57:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I looked at this patch. ISTM we should not have the option at all but
> just do it always. I cannot believe that always-go-left is ever a
> preferable strategy in the long run; the resulting imbalance in the
> index will surely kill any possible benefit. Even if there are some
> cases where it miraculously fails to lose, how many users are going to
> realize that applies to their case and make use of the option?

Sounds good to me.

If I remember correctly, there was also an argument that it may be
useful for repeatable test results. That's a little questionable for
performance (except in those cases where few penalties are identical
anyway), but could plausibly be useful for a crash report or something.

Regards,
Jeff Davis