Re: Removing PD_ALL_VISIBLE

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Removing PD_ALL_VISIBLE
Date: 2013-01-17 22:21:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2013-01-17 at 19:58 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> Presumably we remember the state of the VM so we can skip the re-visit
> after every write?

That was not a part of my patch, although I remember that you mentioned
that previously and I thought it could be a good way to mitigate a
problem if it ever came up.

However, the tests I did didn't show any problem there. The tests were
somewhat noisy, so perhaps I was doing something wrong, but it didn't
appear that looking at the VM page for every update was a bottleneck.

Regards,
Jeff Davis