Re: preserving statistics settings

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org (Neil Conway)
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: preserving statistics settings
Date: 2002-07-19 16:39:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org (Neil Conway) writes:
> Shouldn't the effect of ALTER TABLE ALTER COLUMN SET STATISTICS be
> recorded by pg_dump?

Probably. I was dithering about whether that should be true/false/
controllable, and never got 'round to doing anything at all. One
problem is that I didn't really want to enshrine the current default
value in a bunch of pg_dump scripts, in case we decide it's too small.
So we shouldn't dump SET STATISTICS commands always.

If there were a reliable way to tell whether the attstattarget value had
actually been set by the user, or was merely a default, it'd be easier
to determine what pg_dump should do.