Re: Removal of support for OpenSSL 0.9.8 and 1.0.0

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Removal of support for OpenSSL 0.9.8 and 1.0.0
Date: 2020-01-02 14:22:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> writes:
> Sorry for letting this thread down for a couple of weeks, but I was
> hesitating to apply the last patch of the series as the cleanup of the
> code related to OpenSSL 0.9.8 and 1.0.0 is not that much. An extra
> argument in favor of the removal is that this can allow more shaving
> of past Python versions, as proposed by Peter here:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/98b69261-298c-13d2-f34d-836fd9c29b21@2ndquadrant.com

> So, let's do it.

FWIW, I'm not sure I see why there's a connection between moving up
the minimum Python version and minimum OpenSSL version. Nobody is
installing bleeding-edge Postgres on RHEL5, not even me ;-), so I
don't especially buy Peter's line of reasoning.

I'm perfectly okay with doing both things in HEAD, I just don't
see that doing one is an argument for or against doing the other.