Re: Ignore tablespace ACLs when ignoring schema ACLs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Ignore tablespace ACLs when ignoring schema ACLs
Date: 2017-02-05 17:46:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> writes:
> DefineIndex() has a check_rights argument that determines whether to perform a
> namespace ACL check. When ALTER TABLE ALTER TYPE rebuilds an index, it sets
> that flag. The theory goes that use of DROP INDEX and CREATE INDEX is a mere
> implementation detail of ALTER TABLE ALTER TYPE; the operation is logically like
> an alteration of the existing index. I think the same treatment should extend
> to the tablespace ACL check, as attached.

Seems generally reasonable.

Is there any likely use-case for providing separate control flags for the
two permission checks? That would require an API change for DefineIndex,
making this considerably more invasive, so I'm not pushing for it ---
just think it's worth asking the question before proceeding.