CREATING INDEX on column having null values

From: "suhas(dot)basavaraj12" <suhas(dot)b(at)verse(dot)in>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: CREATING INDEX on column having null values
Date: 2012-12-05 08:10:10
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi,

I have a partitioned table(partitioned on date) .There are about 1 million
insertions per day. There is a column called mess_id. This column is updated
.But update query is taking huge time.When i checked , this column is not
unique, and most of the time its having null . Say everyday out of 1
million only 20K rows are not null for this column ;.Insertions are
happening very fast , but update is very slow.

How to optimize my update query? Is it good to create index on that
column .. i m worried about my insertions getting slow

Rgrds
Suhas