Re: Concerns about this release

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Concerns about this release
Date: 2001-12-18 15:53:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I know I have expressed these concerns before but lost the argument,

Yes, you did, and it's way too late to bring them up again.
Particularly the OID issue; do you seriously propose an initdb
at this stage to put back OIDs in the system tables?

But for the record:

I think your argument about VACUUM misses the point. The reason FULL
isn't the default is that we want the default form to be the one people
most want to use. If lightweight VACUUM starts to be run automatically
in some future release, FULL might at that time become the default.
I don't see anything wrong with changing the default behavior of the
command whenever the system's other behavior changes enough to alter the
"typical" usage of the command.

As for pg_description, the change in primary key is unfortunate but
*necessary*. I don't foresee us reversing it. The consensus view as
I recall it was that we wanted to go over to a separate OID generator
per table in some future release, which fits right in with the new
structure of pg_description, but is entirely unworkable with the old.